Mince and cheese pies
Photo by Babiche Martens
A mince and cheese pie is a Kiwi classic!
|1 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1||Small onion, finely chopped|
|1||Small carrot, finely chopped|
|2 cloves||Garlic, finely chopped|
|2 tsp||Rosemary, finely chopped|
|1 tsp||Smoked paprika|
|500 g||Beef mince|
|¼ tsp||Brown sugar|
|¼ tsp||Tabasco sauce|
|2 Tbsp||Tomato puree|
|½ cup||Beef stock|
|4 slices||Cheddar cheese|
|1 packet||Shortcrust pastry sheet, defrost enough to line tins|
|1 packet||Flaky pastry sheet, defrost enough for 4 pie tops|
- Preheat oven to 200C. Grease 4 pie tins.
- Heat a frying pan and add the oil. Cook the onion and carrot with the garlic and rosemary until golden.
- Add the mince and brown with the paprika, sugar, tabasco and flour. Cook for 5 minutes then add the tomato puree, stock and seasoning. Simmer for 15 minutes then take off the heat and leave to cool.
- Line the pie tins with the shortcrust pastry. Spoon in the mince filling and top with slices of cheese.
- Wet the edge of each pie then top with the flaky pastry and press to seal. Trim the edges of the pastry.
- Whisk the egg and milk together and brush over, then bake for 25 minutes or until golden, checking that the pastry is cooked on the bottom.