Mince and cheese pie
( SERVES 4 )
A mince and cheese pie is a Kiwi classic!
|1 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1||Baby onion, (finely chopped)|
|1||Baby carrot, (finely chopped)|
|2 cloves||Garlic, (finely chopped)|
|2 tsp||Rosemary, (finely chopped)|
|500 g||Beef mince|
|1 tsp||Smoked paprika|
|¼ tsp||Brown sugar|
|¼ tsp||Tabasco sauce|
|2 Tbsp||Tomato puree|
|½ cup||Beef stock|
|1||Salt and pepper, (to season)|
|4 slices||Cheddar cheese|
- Preheat oven to 200C. Grease 4 pie tins.
- Heat a frying pan and add the oil. Cook the onion and carrot with the garlic and rosemary until golden.
- Add the mince and brown with the paprika, sugar, tabasco and flour. Cook for 5 minutes then add the tomato puree, stock and seasoning.
- Simmer for 15 minutes then take off the heat and leave to cool.
- Line the pie tins with the shortcrust pastry. Spoon in the mince filling and top with slices of cheese.
- Wet the edge of each pie then top with the flaky pastry and press to seal. Trim the edges of the pastry.
- Whisk the egg and milk together and brush over, then bake for 25 minutes or until golden, checking that the pastry is cooked on the bottom.