Beetroot, walnut crumbs, fried haloumi and yoghurt
( SERVES 4 )
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil, (plus extra for the breadcrumbs and for frying the haloumi)|
|2 stalks||Celery, (diced)|
|1½ Ltr||Vegetable stock, (or chicken stock)|
|1||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|¾ cup||Walnut bread, (crumbed)|
|4 slices||Haloumi cheese|
|1 to serve||Yoghurt, (thick)|
|1 to drizzle||Walnut oil|
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add the onion, celery and carrot. Cook gently while stirring for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the beetroot and the stock then simmer for about 30 minutes or until the beetroot is tender. Season.
- While the soup is simmering, toast the breadcrumbs in a hot pan with 3 tsp of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt, until golden.
- Remove the breadcrumbs and set aside. Wipe out the pan then add 1 Tbsp of olive oil and when hot fry the slices of haloumi for about 10 seconds on each side or until soft and golden.
- Purée the soup and ladle into warm bowls, topping with the crumbs, a slice of cheese, a drizzle of walnut oil and yoghurt.