Greek Tsoureki bread
- In a saucepan, bring the cinnamon, aniseed, orange and water to the boil and reduce by one third. Strain liquid into a bowl, allow to cool until tepid then whisk in yeast.
- Cover with cling-film and prove for 15 minutes. In another saucepan, heat the milk, butter, sugar and salt until the butter melts and bubbles appear. Allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs until fluffy, and add the milk and yeast mixtures. Slowly add one cup of flour and blend to a smooth batter.
- Add the orange then add the rest of the flour until a very soft dough is formed. Knead on a floured surface for 10 minutes.
- Place into a greased bowl, turn it over to coat, cover with cling-film and prove until doubled in size.
- Knock dough back, knead, divide in half, cover one half with a damp tea towel.
- Shape each half into three ropes and braid them to create wreaths. Brush with egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Cover loosely with cling-film and prove for an hour then bake in a pre-heated 170 degC oven for 25 minutes.