Yael's hot cross buns
In 2011, the Viva team tasted hot cross buns from far and wide to find their favourite. Their vote went to those created by Yael Schochat at Ima on Fort Street in Auckland. Yael has kindly shared her recipe exclusively with us. Makes 24.
|120 g||Fresh yeast|
|350 g||Butter, softened|
|2 g||Ground cloves|
|2 cups||Mixed peel|
- Combine first five ingredients. Knead and then leave to rise for one hour in a warm spot.
- Add salt, plus freshly ground cinnamon, nutmeg and freshly ground cloves.
- Gently mix in currants and mixed peel.
- For the cross, mix first four ingredients into a paste.
- Bring milk to the boil with the vanilla bean (split and scraped), then add to the paste with butter and cook while whisking till thick.
- Bake the buns at 180C for 25 minutes, then brush with sugar syrup when out of the oven.