Quince paste with manchego cheese and walnut toast
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
- To make the paste, wash the quinces, peel then cut into pieces and put into a saucepan.
- Add the water and lemon juice. Cover and cook over a moderate heat until the fruit is soft, approximately 30 minutes.
- Put into a food processor and pulse until smooth. Weigh this and add three-quarters of its weight in sugar.
- Return to the pan and cook over a moderate heat, while stirring often until the quince is a deep pink and the paste leaves the side of the pan when stirring.
- Pour into an oiled pan lined with greaseproof and leave to cool and dry out.
- Brush olive oil on to rounds of walnut toast then top with the paste, manchego cheese and a grind of pepper.