Carolyn Wall's fruity Anzac biscuits
( SERVES 12 )
This recipe makes 12 biscuits.
Recipe and image extracted from New Zealand's Hottest Home Baker with Dean Brettschneider (Penguin, $35), the companion book to the TV series.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Line baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
- In a saucepan, melt butter and condensed milk and set aside.
- Place all remaining ingredients (excluding baking soda and water) in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Place baking soda in a jug and pour in boiling water. Stir well to dissolve. Add to butter and condensed milk mixture. Pour wet ingredients into bowl of dry ingredients and mix.
- Place large tablespoonfuls of mixture (approximately 80g each) on to prepared tray and flatten with the palm of your hand. Leave approximately 2cm between each.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until biscuits have risen slightly and are golden-brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool a little before transferring to a cooling rack.
- For something different, make a simple chocolate icing and decorate the top of the biscuit in a circular pattern.
- To finish, place a blanched almond in the centre of the icing.