Bananas on the barbie
- Place all dry ingredients in a large bowl, crack in egg and then add some milk and stir to just combine ingredients.
- Add more milk and beat with a wooden spoon or whisk until batter is smooth and lump free. Rest in a cooler for one hour.
- Fold in the chopped bananas carefully. Preheat a well-cleaned grill plate.
- Spoon out mixture onto oiled and buttered grill plate. (Melt equal amounts butter and oil, preferably olive oil but canola is good too.)
- Cook until golden each side (about 3-4 minutes) and sprinkle with castor sugar while hot.
- Rush inside and plate up with the best vanilla icecream you can buy and drizzle over maple syrup.
Tip: To make vanilla sugar - add your old scraped-out vanilla pods to a cup of sugar with one vanilla bean, then blitz in the food processor until really fine and dispersed. Store in a dry place.