Sable biscuits with fresh berries and soft cream (sable aux fruits rouges)
( SERVES 10 )
|120 g||Butter, softened|
|60 g||Icing sugar, plus extra for dusting|
|180 g||Flour, plus extra for dusting|
|1||Egg, well beaten with a touch of milk for egg wash|
|½ tsp||Vanilla essence/extract|
- Put the butter and icing sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer with a paddle attachment and mix on medium speed for five minutes. With the mixer going, add the egg and mix on low speed to combine.
- Stop the mixer, add the flour and vanilla, then mix on low speed until well combined. Gather into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Roll out the biscuit dough on a lightly floured work surface to about 3mm thick. Cut the dough with a daisy shape cutter. Put the biscuits on the prepared tray and brush the egg wash over the top of each. Bake in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Meanwhile, prepare the vanilla custard.
- When ready to serve, rinse the berries. Place one sable biscuit in the centre of a plate and pipe a small amount of custard on top. Place some mixed berries on top of the custard and drizzle with a touch of berry coulis. Put a second sable biscuit which has been dusted with icing sugar on top. Garnish with more berries and a spoonful of soft whipped cream on top.
- Put the milk in a saucepan and heat to boiling point. Put the sugar, egg yolks and vanilla in a bowl and whisk by hand until creamy.
- Add the cornflour and dilute with a touch of the hot milk, then pour the egg mixture into the pan of milk and cook for four minutes, stirring often, until the custard coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from the heat and plunge the pan into a sink of iced water to cool.
- Cover with plastic wrap to prevent a skin forming.
- Put all fruit in a bowl and dust with icing sugar. Defrost for at least two hours.
- Blend with a stick blender or in a food processor until you have a smooth puree.
- Strain through a fine sieve and refrigerate until ready to use.