- Put the first measure of coffee and the milk into a saucepan. Heat gently for 20 minutes then strain.
- Return to the saucepan and add the vanilla and ½ cup of the sugar. Stir over a gentle heat until the sugar has dissolved. Beat the eggs and whisk into the warm milk mixture, stirring gently until the mixture thickens. Cool.
- Whip the cream and fold into the custard, then freeze.
- Make the syrup by simmering the extra measure of espresso with the extra sugar and ¾ cup of water. Stir to dissolve the sugar and simmer until the mixture thickens.
- Spoon the parfait into glasses, pour over the syrup andc serve with fresh raspberries and either sponge fingers or meringues.