Bee Sting Cake
|150 g||Butter, soft|
|300 g||Caster sugar|
|1 tsp||Vanilla essence/extract|
|300 g||Standard flour|
|2 tsp||Baking powder|
- Preheat oven to 160 degC. Start with the cake mixture.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and eggs one at a time, beating each one in well before adding the next.
- Combine the baking powder and the flour and fold into the cake mixture alternating with the milk.
- Pour into baking paper-lined 22cm loose-bottomed cake tin.
- For the topping, melt the butter and add the sugar, almonds and milk (it will be a sticky mass).
- Spread this over the top of the cake and bake for an hour in the preheated oven. Check that a skewer comes out clean.
- In the meantime, make the custard: in a saucepan, mix the custard powder with the sugar and the cup of milk until smooth.
- Over a low heat, whisk in the remaining milk and continue to whisk so that the custard thickens.
- When the cake is cool, slice in half with a long knife. Pour the slightly cooled custard over the base and replace the top.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve.