Kids in the kitchen: scones
A simple recipe to get the kids into the kitchen.
- Turn on oven to 200C. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl. Stir in the sugar. Then cut butter into cubes.
- Rub the butter quickly into the flour mixture with your fingers until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- Add most of the milk, a little at a time, stirring it into the flour mixture with a knife with each addition. Then flour your hands.
- Gently knead the mixture until it makes a smooth dough. Add more milk if the mixture seems dry. Leave the dough to rest for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour on work surface. Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough until it is about 2cm thick.
- Use a 5cm cookie cutter to cut circles out of the mixture. Squeeze the trimmings and roll them again.
- Cut out more dough circles. Put them on a greased baking tray. Brush the tops with a little milk.
- Bake the scones near the top of the oven for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown. Let them cool on a wire rack.
- Cut the scones in half and spread them with jam and cream to serve.