Zucchini Cakes with Dill and Feta
( SERVES 6 )
Who can argue with British food writer Nigel Slater's philosophy of "Right food, right place, right time".
- Coarsely grate the zucchini into a colander, sprinkle lightly with salt and leave in the sink for about 30 minutes.
- Chop the onions finely and warm them gently with a little oil in a shallow pan. They should soften but not colour.
- Pat the zucchini dry with kitchen paper or wring them out lightly in your hands.
- Chop the garlic and stir into the onion with the zucchini. When all is soft and starting to turn pale gold, stir in the flour and continue cooking for a couple of minutes or so, stirring occasionally.
- Beat the egg lightly and stir it into the onion mixture, then add the cheese and dill. Season with black pepper and a little salt.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a shallow pan. Drop heaped tablespoons of mixture into the hot oil and cook until golden.
- Turn carefully and cook the other side. Lift the cakes out and drain briefly on kitchen paper. Serve with chutney.