Chicken, leek and tarragon pot pie
( SERVES 4 )
|750 g||Boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite sized pieces|
|4||Leeks, (white parts only), thickly sliced|
|3 Tbsp||Plain flour|
|250 ml||Chicken stock|
|3 Tbsp||Tarragon, finely chopped|
|2 Tbsp||Flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
- Put half of the butter in a large frying pan and set over a high heat.
- When the butter is sizzling, add the chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes; turn often until browned all over. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the remaining butter to the pan and cook the leeks over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Cover with a lid, reduce the heat, and gently cook for 2-3 minutes, until very soft.
- Return the chicken to the pan and increase the heat to high.
- Sprinkle the flour into the pan and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly so that the flour coats the chicken and leeks.
- Gradually add the chicken stock, stirring all the time. Bring to the boil, then stir in the cream, tarragon and parsley. Season well.
- Reduce the heat and gently simmer until thickened. Remove from heat and let cool. Spoon the mixture into the pie dish.
- To make the pastry, put the flour, butter and a pinch of salt in a food processor and process for a few seconds.
- With the motor running, add the sour cream, half of the beaten egg and 1-2 tablespoons cold water.
- Mix until the dough comes together. Roll into a ball, wrap in clingfilm and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180 degC degut the dough between two pieces of baking paper and roll to a thickness of 5mm, making sure the dough is more than big enough to cover the dish.
- Fold the dough over the top of the pie and gently press down around the edges with the tines of a fork to seal.
- Brush the remaining beaten egg over the top. Put the pie dish on a baking tray and