Lemon and baharat roast chicken
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
|1 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|2 Tbsp||Baharat seasoning|
|1||Free-range organic chicken, split along the backbone|
|½ cup||White wine|
|1 to taste||Salt|
|300 ml||Chicken stock|
|2 Tbsp||Coriander, finely chopped|
|2 handfuls||Silverbeet, or spinach or asian greens|
|½ Tbsp||Olive oil|
- Preheat oven to 200C. Mix the oil and seasoning together in a bowl. Segment the lemons and squeeze the juice into the bowl. Put them aside.
- Rub the bird all over with the baharat mix then lay in a roasting dish - skin side up. Tuck the lemon segments all around the chicken. Pour the wine around the bird. Sprinkle with salt and roast for 15 minutes per 500g. Baste with juices occasionally.
- Put the couscous into a large bowl. Bring the stock to a simmer then pour over, add the butter and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let steam for 5 minutes.
- Roughly chop the greens. Heat a frying pan and add the butter and olive oil. When melted, add the greens and let wilt while stirring occasionally.
- Serve the chicken with the couscous and the greens. Spoon the juices from the roasting pan over the chicken.