- Grease a baking dish with the butter.
- Beat the eggs with an electric beater until thick then gradually add the milk, sugar, vanilla, ameretto (or brandy), salt and flour while beating continuously.
- Make sure there are no lumps before leaving the batter to rest for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 180 degC.
- Pour a third of the batter into the baking dish and bake for 3 minutes to just set.
- Spoon over the cherries and sprinkle with the extra measure of sugar and then the rest of the batter.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until puffed, golden and set. Remove from the oven and sprinkle liberally with icing sugar before serving.