Leg of lamb stuffed with garlic, rosemary, fennel seeds and smoked paprika
Top Kiwi chef Peter Gordon has never been one for playing by the rules when it comes to food. Famous for bringing diverse flavours together in his signature fusion cuisine, Gordon is now championing a revolution in New Zealand's indigenous cooking.
- Heat up the oil in a pan and saute the onion and garlic with 2 teaspoons flaky salt (use less if fine salt) until wilted and beginning to caramelise, stirring frequently.
- Add the fennel seeds and rosemary and cook for 2 minutes over moderate heat, stirring frequently. Add the pimenton and cook another minute. Leave to cool, then stuff inside the cavity of the lamb.
- Place in an oven bag, or wrap in baking parchment then foil. Leave to marinate at room temperature for a few hours or in the fridge overnight.
- Cook in the lower parts of the hangi for 2½ hours, or on a baking tray in the oven at 190C for 2 hours.
- Take from the oven and leave to rest for 15 minutes before slicing.