Granny smith shortcake with whisky cream
|150 g||Caster sugar|
|300 g||Plain flour, (plus extra for rolling)|
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
|1||Milk, (and caster sugar to finish)|
- Grease a 24cm pie dish. Cream the butter and sugar until pale. Add the egg, beat then stir in the sifted flour and baking powder.
- Tip onto a floured bench and gently knead, adding more flour if necessary until the dough is smooth and soft. Halve the dough and roll out one half to line the pie dish. Wrap the remaining in plastic wrap and refrigerate with the pie dish for half an hour.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Peel, core and slice the apples. Melt the butter in a large pan, add the apples and sprinkle with sugar and lemon. Cook until softened then spoon into pastry shell.
- Roll out the second half of pastry, cover the apples and seal the edges. Brush with milk and scatter with sugar. Bake for 40 minutes or until golden.
- Softly whip the cream with the sugar and whisky before serving with the shortcake.