Queen Louise slice
Photo by Babiche Martens
Louise slice is made with berries and jam and covered with meringue to become a bit more like a combination of queen pudding and louise slice, renamed Queen Louise. Makes 24 pieces
- Preheat oven to 170C. Line a 20 x 30cm slice tin with baking paper.
- Cream the butter and caster sugar together until pale.
- Beat in the egg yolks one at a time then stir in the flour.
- Press into the lined tin and bake for 15 minutes.
- Spread the jam over the cooled base then top with the berries.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff, add the sugar and keep beating until glossy.
- Fold in the coconut. Spoon the meringue over the berries and bake for a further 25 minutes or until golden.
- Let cool before cutting into pieces.