Middle Eastern lamb meatballs
Photo by Babiche Martens
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1||Onion, finely chopped|
|2 cloves||Garlic cloves, finely chopped|
|2 tsp||Coriander seeds, crushed|
|2 tsp||Cumin seeds|
|¼ tsp||Cayenne pepper, or more according to taste|
|800 g||Crushed tomatoes, two 400 gram tins|
|1||Salt & freshly ground pepper, (to season)|
- To make the sauce, heat the oil then add the onion, garlic, coriander seeds and cumin seeds. Cook, while stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Add the zest, stir, then add the cayenne, cinnamon, tomatoes, sugar and seasoning. Let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Make the meatballs by mixing all the ingredients together, except the oil.
- With wet hands, shape the mixture into small balls. Heat the oil and brown in batches.
- Pour the sauce over the meatballs into an ovenproof baking dish then bake for 30 minutes. Serve with spoonfuls of yoghurt, chopped almonds and za'atar.