Ricotta, passionfruit curd and fruit toast
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
This recipe for ricotta is easy to make and the passionfruit curd the perfect accompaniment.
- To make the ricotta, put the milk and cream in a heavy-based saucepan. Heat, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching.
- Once the mixture begins to boil, add the lemon and salt then reduce to a low simmer. The curds will now be separating from the whey.
- Line a sieve with cloth folded to make 4 layers. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Using a slotted spoon, gently ladle the curds into the lined sieve.
- Discard the whey (or use for extra protein in drinks), gather up the sides of the cloth and tie.
- Drain for 15 minutes then remove from cloth and transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate. Use within 3 days.
To make the curd
- Put the sugar, butter, zest and juice into a double boiler over a low heat. Stir until the sugar has melted then gently stir in the eggs.
- Cook until smooth and thick. Remove from the heat and stir in the passionfruit. Serve the ricotta and curd piled on to warm fruit toast