White peach and sage jelly
( MAKES 4 x 250ml jars )
Photo by Babiche Martens
This jelly will keep for 12 months unopened, six months opened and refrigerated.
- Chop the peaches and place in a large pot or preserving pan with the sage leaves, lemon zest and juice.
- Pour in enough water to just cover and bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes.
- Pour into a jelly bag or muslin and allow the mixture to be suspended without touching anything, to drip for at least an hour.
- Discard the contents of the bag then measure the juice. For every cup of juice add a cup of sugar.
- Boil rapidly for 10-15 minutes or until setting point is reached. Spoon a little on a chilled plate - it is ready if it wrinkles when pushed with a fingertip.
- Skim any scum off the top before pouring into warm sterilised jars and sealing well.