Ceviche of Spicy Scallops & Fish
( SERVES 6 )
Marinated fish and little Greek pies make wonderful nibbles, suggests Lauraine Jacobs in her book The Confident Cook.
- Pat the fish and scallops dry and slice the fish into scallop-size chunks.
- Place in a steamer and steam for about 45 seconds to one minute to just cook through.
- Put aside in a bowl and refrigerate while you make the sauce.
- Place the chilli, ginger, fish sauce, sugar, lime juice and coconut milk in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Pour this over the seafood and return to the refrigerator.
- Meanwhile, slice the red onion finely and make the fresh shaved coconut (see below).
- About 15 minutes before serving, scatter the onion, coconut, coriander and spring onion over the fish.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve in small bowls or coconut shells
- For Coconut: Choose a fresh coconut that is heavy with liquid when you shake it.
- Crack it open by hitting it hard around the circumference with a hammer or cleaver.
- Use a potato peeler to shave out thin strips of coconut.