Plum cake with plum couli
180g butter ¾ cup sugar 3 eggs ½ teaspoon almond essence 2 ¼ cups flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 8 fresh plums Soften butter. Place in the bowl of a food processor with sugar. Process
|½ tsp||Almond essence|
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
- Soften butter. Place in the bowl of a food processor with sugar. Process to combine.
- Add eggs, one at a time. Process after each addition. Add almond essence. Sift over flour and baking powder.
- Process to just combine. Cut plums in half and remove stones. Chop plums roughly.
- Add to cake mixture and pulse to just combine. Spread mixture into a 21cm ring tin. Sprinkle over streusel topping.
- Bake at 180 degC for 45 minutes. Cool in tin for 10 minutes.
- Cover a cake rack with baking paper. Turn cake out on to rack. Turn again, streusel side up.
- Serve warm with plum couli and yoghurt.
- Streusel Topping: Place almonds, sugar and flour in a bowl. Rub in butter to form a crumble. Stir through almond essence.
- Plum Couli: Wash plums and remove stones. Place plums in a saucepan with sugar and water.
- Slowly bring to the boil and simmer until plum flesh is soft.
- Push juice and flesh through a sieve discarding skins.