Duck with orange pistachio stuffing and marsala sauce
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tam West
This duck recipe is a winner. The skin is crispy, it’s full of flavour and the sauce is magic (feel free to use sherry or just wine if you don’t have marsala).
|1||Duck, size 18|
|2 cups||Breadcrumbs, soft fresh|
|2||Spring onions, finely chopped|
|1 Tbsp||Orange, grated zest|
|½ cup||Pistachio nuts, raw, chopped|
|1 cup||Chicken stock, hot|
To prepare the duck
- Heat oven to 150C.
- Wash the duck and dry with paper towels. Remove any excess fat and prick the skin all over.
- Place breadcrumbs in a bowl with spring onions, orange zest, pistachios, salt, egg and a good grind of black pepper.
- Fill duck cavity with breadcrumb mixture. Close cavity with a poultry skewer. Place duck breast side down in a roasting pan.
- Add chicken stock to pan. Bake for two hours. Turn and baste duck every half hour.
- Turn temperature up to 200C and cook a further 30-45 minutes until skin browns.
- Rest for 10 minutes before carving. Serve with marsala sauce.
To make marsala sauce
- Heat butter in a saucepan and cook onion and garlic until soft.
- Add stock, marsala and orange juice and simmer over a medium heat until reduced by half.
- Stir in marmalade, cardamom and parsley. Season with salt and a good grind of black pepper.