Lemon and lime whitebait fritters
Makes 50 small fritters
- Rinse the whitebait and, if frozen, make sure it is thawed and drained. Whisk 1 teaspoon of both lemon and lime rind, salt, pepper, eggs and self-raising flour together until reasonably smooth. Stir in the whitebait.
- Heat a large nonstick frypan over medium heat. Add a tablespoon of oil and about a teaspoon of butter. Swirl the pan around to mix the butter and oil.
- Spoon in batter to make three to four little fritters at a time. Pour the mixture off the end of the spoon rather than the side to make the fritters round. Cook each fritter for about a minute, then turn and cook other side.
- Drain fritters on a paper towel, then keep warm in the oven as you cook the remainder of the batch.
- Serve with cocktail napkins, plus lemon and lime wedges to squeeze over.