( SERVES 4 )
A classic ale casserole that is rich and hearty, perfect for a winter midweek meal.
- Peel onions. Heat a large frying pan. Add butter and cook onions, turning often. Sprinkle with brown sugar and cook a further minute.
- Remove onions to a 10 cup-capacity ovenproof dish. Add beef (diced) to frying pan. Cook, in batches, until brown.
- Remove beef and place in dish with onions. Add beer, Worcestershire sauce and mustard to frying pan. Bring to the boil. Pour over beef and onions. Sprinkle with thyme, salt, pepper and add bay leaves.
- Cover dish and bake at 180 degrees C for 2 to 2½ hours or until meat is tender.
- Mix cornflour and water together. Stir into meat mixture and cook a further five minutes. Serve sprinkled with parsley.