Beef Ragout with Pasta
Hearty and rich, this ragout with pasta is a complete meal in one pot.
|1 kg||Blade steak|
|1 tsp||Dry mixed herbs|
|2 Tbsp||Tomato paste|
|400 g||Chopped tomatoes|
|1 cup||Red wine|
|2 cups||Beef stock|
|1 tsp||Brown sugar|
|1 tsp||Iodised salt|
|1 to taste||Ground black pepper|
|1½ cups||Pasta shapes|
|½ cup||Fresh parsley|
|¼ cup||Pine nuts|
|½ cup||Parmesan cheese|
- Cut beef into 2cm pieces and toss in flour. Heat oil in a large frying pan and brown meat in batches.
- Peel onions and chop finely. Crush garlic, peel and chop finely. Remove meat and add onion and garlic. Mix in herbs and stir for one minute.
- Add tomato paste and undrained chopped tomatoes. Return meat to pan with red wine, stock, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 1½ hours or until meat is tender. Add pasta and cook a further 30 minutes.
- Remove three cups of beef ragout and refrigerate or freeze to make beef and mushroom savoury-topped hot pots.
- Serve remaining mixture sprinkled with parsley, pinenuts (toasted) and cheese (grated).