Lamb and pumpkin curry with spiced coconut
( SERVES 4 )
|600 g||Lamb steaks|
|1 piece||Fresh ginger, 10cm|
|1 tsp||Ground cumin|
|1 tsp||Curry powder|
|2 tsp||Brown sugar|
|1 tsp||Ground turmeric|
|2 cups||Vegetable stock|
|1 tsp||Iodised salt|
- Cut lamb into 3cm pieces. Peel onions and chop finely. Crush garlic, peel and chop finely.
- Peel ginger and grate. Cut chilli in half, remove seeds and chop chilli finely. Heat oil in a large saucepan.
- Brown lamb pieces in batches. Remove lamb from pan.
- Add onion, garlic, ginger, chilli, cumin, cinnamon, curry powder, turmeric and brown sugar to pan.
- Stir for one to two minutes. Return lamb pieces and add vegetable stock. Bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for one hour. Peel pumpkin and remove seeds.
- Cut into 2cm pieces. Add to lamb with salt. Cook, covered, for a further 35 minutes. Serve with Spiced Coconut.
- Spiced coconut: Place sesame and cumin seeds and coconut in a frying pan. Cook, stirring continuously, until coconut is golden.