Kumara, orange and pistachio cake
|1 cup||Pistachio nuts, shelled|
|2 tsp||Oranges, rind|
|1 tsp||Ground cardamom|
- Peel kumara and cut into even-sized pieces. Cook in boiling water for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain well.
- Place saucepan back on the warm element for two minutes to remove any excess moisture from kumara.
- Push kumara through a coarse sieve into a bowl. Chop pistachio nuts finely. Add to kumara with orange rind.
- Separate eggs and beat yolks with 1/2 cup of measured sugar. Sift flour and cardamom over kumara and fold in egg yolk mixture.
- Beat egg whites with remaining sugar until thick and glossy. Fold into kumara mixture.
- Line the base of a 20cm cake tin with baking paper, then pour over mixture. Bake at 180 degC for 45 minutes.
- Stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Cut and serve with orange drizzle.
- Orange Drizzle: Place orange juice, sugar and marmalade in a small saucepan. Simmer until golden.