Apricot and orange cake
This rich fruit cake is fabulous with a piece of mature cheddar and a glass of port.
- Line the base and sides of a 23cm square cake tin with baking paper.
- Mix apricots and sultanas with the first measure of flour. melt butter and brown sugar in a large saucepan. Cool.
- Beat eggs, one at a time, into butter and sugar. Add 2 Tbsp orange rind and peel.
- Sift over second measure of flour and baking soda. Add apricot mixture and vanilla essence. Combine with orange juice. Spread mixture into tin.
- Place a magazine or four to six layers of newspaper in the oven. Sit cake tin on the magazine.
- Bake at 150C for 2¾ hours or until a skewer comes out clean. Remove from oven and pour over orange liqueur. Cool in tin.
- Store wrapped in plastic wrap in a cool dark place or refrigerator until ready to cut.
Try serving a rich fruit cake with a mature cheddar and a glass of aged muscat or port for a delicious taste experience.