Date, banana and tamarind chutney
Tamarind has a sweet-and-sour flavour and is used to flavour some Asian foods. It can be found in the international food section of the supermarket and is sold either in blocks or as a liquid purée.
- Peel onions and chop finely.
- Peel bananas and mash.
- Place onions and bananas in a large saucepan with dates, vinegar and tamarind purée.
- Bring to the boil. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Add 2 tbsp of lemon rind, salt, curry powder, sultanas, sugar and water.
- Simmer for 30 minutes or until thick.
- Spoon into hot, clean jars and seal.