Apple lemon slice
To make this slice even more special for winter change out the lemon curd and zest for grapefruit and make it a apple grapefruit slice. See how to make grapefruit curd here.
- Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add 1 Tbsp of lemon rind.
- Sift over flour, custard powder and baking powder.
- Line the base of a 27 x 18cm slice tin with baking paper.
- Divide mixture in half and press half over the base.
- Peel apples, remove cores and slice finely. Place over base.
- Spread the remaining cake mixture over the apples.
- Scatter with almonds and drizzle with lemon curd.
- Bake at 180C for 40 to 45 minutes. Cool in the tin before cutting into squares.