Lemon shortbread from Quince Cafe
Ensure you don't pull the shortbread out of the oven before it shows some colour - that's where the flavour is. Store when cool in an airtight jar and if for any reason it's left open, place the shortbread on a tray and re-bake to refresh them. If you like to get ahead with your baking, you can always make the shortbread and roll any unbaked dough in plastic wrap to keep in the freezer for baking later. Dried cranberries and currants can be added for a festive touch.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Cream butter and icing sugar with the lemon zest of a lemon.
- Mix in flour.
- Form mixture into a ball. It will look dry, but fear not, it works.
- Roll out mixture on a very lightly floured bench. Cut out shapes or form into a long sausage and cut into 1cm slices.
- Place on a lightly greased baking tray, prick with a fork and bake for 20 minutes for larger shapes or less for small shapes. When cool, store in an airtight container.