Indonesian gado-gado salad
|250 g||Green beans|
|350 g||Firm tofu|
|1 Tbsp||Peanut oil|
|1 cup||Bean sprouts|
|¼ cup||Fresh coriander|
1. Cut cauliflower into florets, steam or boil with beans and potato until just tender. Set aside to cool.
2. Cut tofu into thick strips and drain on paper towels. Heat oil in a saucepan. Dredge tofu strips in flour and fry quickly in hot oil until golden. Drain on paper towels.
3. halved cucumber lengthways and finely slice. Peel carrot and cut into matchsticks. To serve, arrange layers of prepared vegetables on serving plates. Top with fried tofu and hard-boiled egg quarters. Pour over peanut satay sauce and garnish with fresh coriander.
Peanut satay sauce
Makes 2 cups, use as required.
1. Heat a saucepan, then add oil, finely diced onion and garlic and cook over a low heat for 8 minutes, until softened but not coloured. Add the chilli (chopped with seeds removed), brown sugar, soy sauce and lemon juice (Juice of 1 lemon) and cook for 1 minute.
2. Purée the mixture in a blender with the roasted peanuts and cold water, to form a thick paste. Return paste to the saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes to reduce and thicken.
3. Peanut satay sauce will last for up to 4 days, stored in the fridge. Use over gado-gado or serve with chicken, beef or lamb kebabs.