Flourless chocolate ginger fudge cakes (gluten-free)
- Heat oven to fan bake 160C. Grease a 24-hole mini muffin pan.
- Place butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water to melt, or microwave in short bursts. Stir until smooth, then set aside to cool a little.
- Combine eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt in another bowl and whisk with an electric mixer for 5 minutes, or until thick and pale. Gradually add melted chocolate mixture while continuing to whisk until well-combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin pans and sprinkle surface of each with sliced ginger. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out sticky but not liquid.
- Leave to cool in tins for 10 minutes before running a palette knife around edges and carefully turning out. Serve warm or cold with a teaspoon of mascarpone on each.
These lovely, gooey fudge cakes are a little difficult to remove from the tins, due to the flourless nature of the mixture. However, the results are well worth the effort. Use a palette knife to help loosen the cakes and, as the cakes are very soft, any discrepancies can easily be moulded back into shape.