Moroccan chicken with saffron, apricots and olives
|2||Onions, peeled and sliced|
|4||Chicken legs, cut to separate drumsticks and thighs|
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1 cup||Dried apricots|
|1 pinch||Saffron threads|
|1 cup||Chicken stock|
|1||Salt & freshly ground pepper, to season|
|1 tsp||Ground coriander|
|1 tsp||Ground ginger|
|1 tsp||Ground paprika|
|1 cup||Black olives|
|¼ cup||Fresh parsley, or coriander, chopped|
- Place onions in the base of a tagine or casserole dish. Arrange chicken portions on the bed of onions and scatter with apricots.
- Drizzle with olive oil and dust with spices. Pour over stock or water and season with salt and pepper.
- Half cover the pan and bring the liquid to the boil, then turn down the heat to simmer for 1 hour.
- Turn the chicken pieces once or twice until the chicken tests cooked and the liquid is much reduced. Alternatively, cook in an oven heated to 180 degC.
- Add olives and parsley or coriander to the sauce. Cook for 5 more minutes. Skim excess fat from the surface before serving.
Tip: Serve this chicken dish with buttered couscous and a green vegetable such as steamed beans.