New Delhi lamb with tomatoes and potatoes
|1 kg||Lamb leg steak, or boneless shoulder steaks, trimmed of fat|
|1||Red chilli, chopped, with seeds removed|
|2 Tbsp||Mild curry powder|
|800 g||Canned tomatoes|
|400 g||Waxy potatoes|
|1 pinch||Ground black pepper|
|1 to serve||Fresh coriander|
- Cut lamb into 3cm chunks. Heat a large saucepan, add a little oil and brown meat in two to three batches, adding more oil if necessary.
- Remove meat to one side, add onions to the pan and cook for 5 minutes over a medium heat to brown lightly.
- Add garlic, chilli and curry powder to the pan and cook for 1 minute more, stirring continuously.
- Return meat to the pan and add tomatoes. Cook over a medium heat for 10 minutes until liquid has reduced to a thick sauce.
- Add potatoes and 1 cup cold water and bring back to the boil, then turn down the heat, partially cover pan with lid and simmer very gently for 1 hour.
- If sauce becomes too thick, add a little more water as necessary. Stir in juice of half a lemon and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Scatter with coriander and serve with naan bread, rice or poppadoms.