Mini beef wellingtons with medley of winter greens
|1 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1||Salt & freshly ground pepper, to season|
|250 g||Button mushrooms, sliced|
|6 sheets||Puff pastry, thawed|
|6||Beef steaks, thick, 150g each|
|100 g||Chicken liver pate|
|1||Egg, lightly beaten, to glaze|
- Heat a nonstick frying pan, add a little oil and mushrooms and stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes to brown. Set aside to cool. Season steaks all over with salt and pepper. In the same pan, over a high heat, brown steaks for 1 minute on each side. Set aside to cool, then dry with paper towels.
- Lay a pastry sheet on a work surface and cut out the four corners so the pastry is shaped like a cross. Place a steak in the centre. Smear meat with some pâté and top with some mushrooms. Fold in the opposing sides of pastry to cover the steak and form a square parcel.
- Repeat with remaining pastry and filling ingredients. Decorate parcels with leaves cut from scraps of pastry. Chill parcels for 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 220degC. Glaze parcels with beaten egg and place on an oven tray. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until pastry is puffed and golden brown. Remove to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Tip: To toast almonds, place in a small, ovenproof pan or dish and bake at 180degC for 5 to 10 minutes or until golden brown, tossing once during this time.
- Cook broccoli and Brussels sprouts in boiling, salted water for 2 to 3 minutes, then drain well. Heat a wok or large frying pan, add oil and leeks and cook for 5 minutes over a medium heat until softened.
- Add drained broccoli and Brussels sprouts. Stir-fry and toss well over heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve scattered with toasted almonds.