Chicken and spinach pie with mashed potato topping
( SERVES 4 )
- Heat a saucepan, add a little oil and the onion and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove to one side. Brown chicken in the same pan in two to three batches, adding more oil if needed. Remove to one side.
- Stir flour into the oil remaining in the pan, mixing to form a smooth paste and adding a little more oil if necessary to reach this consis-tency.
- Add milk, stirring to form a smooth sauce, then add stock and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Return chicken and onion to the pan and stir in spinach and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cool, then spoon into a 2 litre capacity pie dish and top with mashed potato. Sprinkle the surface with feta.
- Heat oven to 180 degC. Bake pie for 40 minutes or until heated through and the topping is golden brown. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Tip: For an alternative topping, try mashed kumara or pumpkin. or, omit the mash and cover the filling with shortcrust pastry.