Citrus fruit salad with burnt caramel sauce
- Place sugar and 1 cup measured water in a saucepan.
- Heat until sugar dissolves, then boil until liquid turns a dark caramel colour - this takes about 10 minutes.
- Take care as caramel is dangerously hot. Add remaining ½ cup water with caution, as the mixture will splutter.
- Simmer to dissolve caramel and form a thick syrupy sauce. Remove to cool.
- Place the segmented fruit in a bowl and pour over caramel.
- Chill for an hour before serving.
Take great care when working with caramel as the mixture is extremely hot and will stick and burn if it comes in contact with your skin.