Sausage roll spirals
( SERVES 6 )
- Dip your hands in a bowl of cold water and squeeze the sausage meat (either pork, beef, lamb or chicken) out of the sausage skin and into a bowl.
- Add basil pesto and fresh breadcrumbs to the meat and mix well to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Divide mixture into six pieces - or 12, if you want to make baby rolls - and with damp hands, roll each portion back into a sausage shape.
- Cut pastry sheet into 1cm wide, long strips. Wrap a long strip of pastry, thawed around each sausage in a spiral, starting at one end and wrapping towards the other end.
- Place sausage spirals on a baking tray, tucking the ends underneath so they don't unwind when cooked. Repeat with remaining sausages and pastry. Place tray in the fridge to chill sausage spirals for 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 200 degC. Brush pastry spirals lightly with egg glaze (1 egg beaten with 1 tbsp milk) and sprinkle with finely grated parmesan cheese. Bake for 25 minutes, or until pastry is puffed and golden brown.
Tip: Having damp hands when removing sausages from their skins or rolling sausage shapes will stop the sausage meat sticking to your fingers.
Tip: Chilling sausage spirals in the fridge before baking helps set the pastry and stops it shrinking and unwinding when cooked.
Tip: If you don't like parmesan cheese, sprinkle the sausage rolls with sesame seeds or poppy seeds instead.