Portuguese pork and rice stew
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tam West
|1 dash||Olive oil, for frying|
|600 g||Pork shoulder, cut into 2cm pieces|
|2||Chorizo sausages, sliced|
|1||Onion, finely chopped|
|1||Red pepper, deseeded and chopped|
|2 cloves||Garlic, crushed|
|2 tsp||Paprika, spanish, sweet smoked|
|½ cup||Red wine|
|400 g||Chopped tomatoes|
|4 cups||Chicken stock|
|1 cup||Risotto rice, Italian|
- Heat a large pan over a high heat. Add a little olive oil and brown pork pieces in 2-3 batches. Remove to one side.
- Add chorizo to the pan, tossing to brown for 2-3 minutes. Remove to one side.
- Add onion and red pepper to the pan, turn down heat and cook for 5 minutes until soft, adding more oil if necessary.
- Add garlic and paprika and cook for 1 minute.
- Add red wine and simmer for 3-5 minutes, stirring to loosen any sediment from the bottom of the pan, then add bay leaves, tomatoes and chicken stock.
- Return pork and chorizo to the pan and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Add rice and simmer a further 20-30 minutes until rice is cooked. Season with salt and pepper and rest for 10 minutes.
- Serve with a squeeze of lemon juice to bring out the flavours, and some crusty bread and salad greens.