Pasta with mussels and bacon
This recipe is ideal for those mussels in brine in a pottle at the supermarket. Keep a little of the brine to add to the pasta sauce at the for extra punchy, vibrant acidity. Serve with a green salad.
- Cook pasta according to the instructions on the packet in plenty of salted boiling water.
- Make the sauce. In a large frying pan, place a little oil and then the bacon, onion, garlic and ginger, and cook on a medium-hot element.
- You want the onions translucent, but not coloured.
- When the bacon has cooked and the onion is soft, add the crème fraiche and mussels (keeping a little brine) and season with salt and pepper and chilli sauce.
- Add chopped parsley and the hot pasta.
- Check the pasta - add a little reserved brine if desired. Even 1 tablespoon will make an impact on the whole dish.