A lemon pound cake is the base of this very cute birthday cake.
Lemon pound cake
|3 cups||Caster sugar|
|½ tsp||Baking soda|
|½ cup||Standard flour|
|1 cup||Sour cream|
- Heat oven to 160C fan bake.
- Grease and lightly dust with flour a 22cm high-sided, fluted, ring-mould cake tin.
- Place butter and caster sugar in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until pale and creamy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Sift dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Combine sour cream with lemon zest and juice in another bowl. Gently beat in dry ingredients in three batches, alternating with sour cream mixture.
- Pour mixture into prepared cake tin and smooth the surface. Bake for 1 hour or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- To make butter icing, beat butter, icing sugar and lemon juice together until pale and fluffy. Beat in green food colouring then spread over the entire cake.
- To make decorations, dust a work surface with cornflour. Roll out white royal icing and cut out daisy shapes with pastry cutters.
- Arrange like a daisy chain around the cake. Add a few drops of yellow food colouring to a small amount of royal icing and knead to incorporate.
- Roll out yellow royal icing and cut out small circles. ooisten backs of circles with a little water and press on to daisies to from centres.