Rare beef on crostini with basil pesto
Makes 20 350g thick beef steak, such as sirloin, scotch or eye fillet Salt and freshly ground black pepper olive oil 20 crostini (see recipe below) ¼ cup basil pesto 1. Season steak all over
- Season steak such as sirloin, scotch or eye fillet all over with salt and pepper. Heat a frying pan, add a film of oil and brown steak for 2 to 4 minutes on each side (depending on thickness of the meat) to cook to medium rare. Remove to a plate to cool.
- Slice steak very thinly. Arrange slices on top of crostini and top with a dollop of basil pesto.
To prepare Crostini:
- Heat oven to 170 degC. Thinly slice bread. Lightly brush slices of bread on both sides with olive oil.
- Place slices on baking trays and bake for 10 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Store in an airtight container.
- To serve, top crostini with chosen topping, such as your favourite dip or spread.