Banana buttermilk coconut pudding
( SERVES 6 )
This great dessert is enhanced by the use of buttermilk. It lightens the topping and gives a slightly sour flavour that contrasts superbly with the intense caramel base. It's so simple to prepare, everyone
- Preheat the oven to 180 degC.
- Melt the butter in a 30 x 20 x 6cm ovenproof dish.
- Add the brown sugar and slice the bananas lengthwise, placing on top of the melted butter and sugar.
- To make the topping, place all the dry ingredients in the food processor. Mix using the pulse action, adding butter till mixture is crumbly.
- Drop the egg into the buttermilk and milk, mix well and add to the mix in the food processor. Blend for 30 seconds or until well combined.
- Pour this mix over the bananas/brown sugar.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes till the topping is golden brown.
- Add a little finely grated citrus - lemon, lime or orange - to the mix for an extra zingy flavour. A dusting of icing sugar plus a little cream also works a treat with this dessert.