Banana buttermilk coconut pudding
( SERVES 6 )
This great dessert is enhanced by the use of buttermilk. It lightens the topping and gives a slightly sour flavour that contrasts superbly with the intense caramel base. It's so simple to prepare, everyone loves it and there is no point in giving you any advice about leftovers as there won't be any!
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Melt the butter in a 30 x 20 x 6cm ovenproof dish.
- Add the brown sugar and slice the bananas lengthwise, placing on top of the melted butter and sugar.
- To make the topping, place all the dry ingredients in the food processor. Mix using the pulse action, adding butter till mixture is crumbly.
- Drop the egg into the buttermilk and milk, mix well and add to the mix in the food processor. Blend for 30 seconds or until well combined.
- Pour this mix over the bananas/brown sugar.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes till the topping is golden brown.
- Add a little finely grated citrus - lemon, lime or orange - to the mix for an extra zingy flavour. A dusting of icing sugar plus a little cream also works a treat with this dessert.