A traditional Italian dessert, panforte contains fruits and nuts -very similar to fruitcake.
- Heat oven to 150 degC fan bake. Line a 22cm springform cake tin with edible rice paper or nonstick baking paper and grease the sides of the pan with butter.
- Combine the nuts, peel, flour and spices in a bowl. Combine the sugar, honey, butter and water in a large saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Boil for 1 minute, then pour the hot liquid over the nut mixture, stirring to coat the nuts.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tin and smooth the surface with a spatula.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until the edges bubble and the mixture is firm. Remove to cool in the tin. Run a knife around the edge to release from tin.
- Slice into thin wedges to serve. Store for up to three weeks in an airtight container.