Homemade spiced pickled ginger
- Pour all ingredients except the ginger into a saucepan. Stir while bringing to a gentle simmer, then set aside.
- To prepare the ginger, first separate the ginger root into pieces and trim off any knobbly bits before peeling.
- Now slice the peeled ginger as thinly as possible into wafers. Spread out the ginger wafers like a deck of cards, then slice into thin strips and place into a large bowl.
- Repeat this until you have shredded all the ginger.
- Next, boil the kettle and cover the ginger well with hot water, leaving to cool for 5 minutes before draining. Repeat this process twice more.
- Finally, add the prepared ginger shreds to the hot spiced vinegar mix, pour into a clean container, cover with a lid and leave to pickle for one week at room temperature.
- Decant into decorative gift jars with tight-fitting lids. The pickled ginger will keep almost indefinitely in the fridge.