Chocolate sponge with strawberries and cream
( SERVES 12 )
- Heat oven to 180 degC (160 degC fan bake). Line the bases of two 20cm round cake tins with nonstick baking paper. Lightly grease the sides of the tins with butter and dust with flour.
- Place eggs, salt and sugar in a bowl and whisk with an electric mixer until mixture is thick and pale, and ribbons of it hold their shape.
- Sift together the cornflour, flour, cocoa and baking powder. With a large metal spoon, gently and briefly fold the sifted dry ingredients into the egg mixture. Take care not to over mix and deflate the sponge mixture.
- Divide mixture between the prepared tins and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until the sponges test cooked (see tip).
- Remove to a wire rack to cool. once cold, sandwich together with whipped cream and strawberries. Dust with icing sugar and slice to serve.
Tip: To test if sponge cakes are cooked, don't insert a skewer as this will deflate the sponge. Test by pressing the surface with a fingertip - it will spring back if it is cooked. A sponge will also shrink back from the sides of the tin when cooked.